Winter Support Payments - December 2020
Headline: Support payments for the winter period
After the Government announced £170 million in funding would be available for local authorities through its COVID Winter Grant Scheme, Cheshire West and Chester Council will receive £925,000 in total to support residents.
This funding will help families struggling to pay for food, fuel or water bills throughout the winter period.
Who will qualify
- Families with children receiving free school meals on 1 December 2020.
- Families receiving either a Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction on 1 December 2020 AND with children below the age of four, or children between the ages of 16 and 18 inclusive.
- Individuals who have left the care of Cheshire West and Chester Council and are below the age of 25 on 1 December 2020.
Details of the award
Applications must be made online as bank details are required to make payments. An award of £45 per eligible person and £35 per household will be paid into the nominated bank account, subject to checks against records held by the Council. An automated notification will be sent out to confirm that an application has been received.
To apply online:
- Visit: Winter grant scheme
When payments will be made
Payments will start in December, but volumes are likely to be high. The Council is asking that, once an application form is completed, time is given to send the awards out as repeat contacts are likely to delay any awards made.
- Telephone: 0300 123 8123
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other help available
Citizens Advice Cheshire West, in conjunction with The Fuel Bank Foundation will also receive funding to support people who are struggling to meet their fuel bills.
Disability Positive has also been awarded funding to support children and adults it works with who have long-term health conditions, helping them access food, energy or water bill support.
The Welcome Network is commissioned by the Council to coordinate food offers across the borough. Details of local food offers in Cheshire West and Chester over the Christmas are being compiled on the Welcome Network website.